Saturday, August 23, 2008

Suburban or Minivan?!!

So, a couple of weeks ago I was driving on the US 60 when we were hit by some girl probably texting and putting on her makeup while eating a supersize Big Mac. That is the only way she could not have seen me. Anyways, since "Grandma's Van" (which Justin so lovingly named my van since only a granny would drive something like it) was on it's last legs , we are ready to get something new. We just can't decide what.
















(not really her)


On one hand, after our most recent road trip to Utah we realized we'd like something with four wheel drive, more cargo space and leg room. (poor Victoria was so scrunched in the back of the van) So a Suburban sounds great. But honestly getting 15-20 mpg (on a good day) is enough to make me want to.....well anyways.



It's so gorgeous, isn't it?

But the more practical side says a minivan is the way to go. They're affordable, not huge gas guzzlers, very convenient, and I don't care if it screams homemaker with 4 children. How cool are automatic sliding doors?





So I need help deciding and want your opinions, please. If you have one or the other, tell me what you like or dislike. We're not real picky on makes ( no " Calvin peeing on a car "sticker's for us)

(Seriously, what kind of a person puts that on their car?!)
















24 comments:

Jacque said...

Naener!
Your cake below is so awesome!
Umm... I would have to go with the suburban. If you can "afford" the gas, it's really nice to have the extra room and makes road trips that much more enjoyable. Seeing as how you guys will be visiting all the time now, it seem perfect! Just convert it to natural gas!:)
The half Marathon was great! I am really really sore. My knees and hips hurt like crazy from the downhill. UGH!
But, all-in-all, I completed it and am proud to say I am a finisher!

Alishia said...

My husband refused to drive a minivan, ever. He said that when you buy a minivan, they make you surrender your "Man Card." But, a Suburban is too long for our garage. So we have a Tahoe and I hate it!! I really wish I had a minivan. The gas really is a bummer, you'll hate that for sure!! The van is just so practical. And, like you, I'm all about sliding doors!! Good luck! Oh, and I'm glad you are all OK after the collision.

gina said...

I vote for the horse and carriage, so cool in Amish country but not so popular here...lol. I think you may regret a Suburban, especially when you head up North...that is a tough one. Love the cake, you rock you know!

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

we got a suburban when we had Tatum. For the most part I LOVE it! Love the 4wDr and Love all the room! It's awsome when we take trips. Plus we have TV's in it. (but you can do that with either car) HATE the gas milage!!! The suburban keeps track of your avg gas milage and mine tells me I get 12.8 mpg. SUCKS! Last time I filled up it cost me $110 (down from $135 a few weeks ago) It does have a 32gallon tank though. So it lasts me about 10 or 12 days. It's a tough call. I know. We debated the same thing as you a year and a half ago. We just fell upon a really good deal. Good luck!

AliceK[i]ND said...

Jay and I totally did NOT want a minivan, but as soon as test drove the Odyssey we fell in love and never looked back. Can I say HALLELUJAH for sliding doors?!!?

Renae said...

Breanna, 12.8?!!! What year is it? Yowza! Alisha, I think maybe they'll give Justin a "Temporary Man Card" if he still has his truck :) He'll just have to spend minimal time behind the wheel of the van.

Jolene said...

Love my suburban for the room - you can get a lot of Costco groceries in the back - and because we use it to pull our trailer. HATE THE GAS GUZZLING!

We had a couple of mini vans before the suburban and I probably wouldn't go back but I will admit that Shannon's Toyota Sienna is awesome. It has 8 seats like the burb and gets great gas mileage.

Pam said...

My manly man has the same feelings as Alishia's - something about his ego and all that. But I didn't put up too much of a fight because my experience with the van was in High School and do you know how incredibly hard it is to look cool driving around a van. I even had to use it for college one week and I opted to walk around instead. I know looking back now that seems so childish. I would love the gas mileage of the van but I think subconciously my mind can't get over my childhood emotions. Although vans now days are way cooler. Tough decision - good luck!

Elisha said...

Yikes! Tough call. We go the rounds with the same dilema on our next car. I would LOVE a suburban, but it would put a huge hole in the bank account!!! Brett drove a minivan around last year while our pilot was getting fixed and he LOVED it!! I was shocked! He has no shame!

Renae said...

Pam, I love hearing other peoples stories of their teenage cars. I'll bet your van was totally awesome. In my youth (long ago) we had a suburban that had a black fender, had multiple run-ins with some deer and cows(3 at once) and when my sister had to drive it to High School, it would honk continuously when you turned left. :) That's some major psychological scarring. :)

Varney Family said...

Hi Renae-
We went from minivan with all the extras to a Yukon XL (Suburban) and let me tell you it sucks to fill up - but that is the only downside!!! It fits in our garage, I can load all the costco groceries in the back - with a stroller and even Weston can climb in and get in his car seat. I love our White Whale and wouldn't think to go on a road trip with out it. Good Luck with your decision...Craigs List has a bunch on there right now for a pretty good deal - loaded...

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

Seriously the gas milage just Sucks! Ours is an '05 and I think I'm a pretty conservative driver. Ask around but I think that's pretty standard for a suburban with 4WD. (maybe the new ones are better?) But I do LOVE all the room. You can't beat it.

Kurt, Christine and kids said...

Okay from one previous owner of the honda van - I loved everything about it. But the lack of room. I love all the room in my suburban. Especially since I have almost 2 teenagers. And kids that love to have friends tag along. I only spend $90-100 to fill my suburban. Don't ask me what my gas milage is or how big my tank is. I just know that I can make it all the way to St.George to visit my parents on one tank of gas. Hurray for us-less stops!! Good luck deciding. Tell Victoria we'll see her Wednesday night @ mutual & Kacee and I can't wait. Miss you all!

The Romero family said...

All I know is when I went from a van to an SUV I felt a lot cooler (as in hip, not lower temperature! :)) Ask Cindy V. she feels very strongly about this subject. NO MINIVANS! Who cares about better gas mileage, it's all about looking cool - LOL!

Lorena said...

I'm all for minivans...have you watched a 5'0" woman climb into a Suburban?

Funny story about Drew! You should hear him play it on the piano! Thanks again for taking him! That was so sweet and we should definitely use each other more often...the boys would be much happier!

barbafamily said...

Renae! I'm so glad you visited my blog :-) And, yes, I'm doing PTSO again :-) Much fun (He, He, He).

I LOVE the cake that you made - you are so talented!

That stinks about the girl hitting you guys on the freeway! I would vote for a minivan...I LOVE my van! Mine doesn't have the automatic doors - the next one will! I just think they are practical. But, I LOVE Suburbans - SO much room! But, that gas bill is something scary! Good luck!

Beeswax said...

Jake would have us all in a mercedes station wagon, given his choice. He's the one that brought home the minivan the first time. He's got not a single 'manly car' bone in his body. I had some serious reservations. Now, I think, while we're still in the baby/toddler stage, the auto doors and tailgate are worth any cost (and that cost is my ego.)

Jake's theory is that if you get a great deal on a burb or tahoe over a van, you can use the extra cash on gas. Call Alan Underwood if you want something used.

We bought our 05 Odyssey a year ago on ebay from a lady in Vegas. It was still under warranty.

Renae said...

Thanks Kelly! I loved my van until my kids stopped fitting comfortably in it.

Whitney R said...

Hi... I was checking out random blogs and read your post. I have a Tahoe and I love it. I grew up with a mom driving a suburban and I love the room. I also love being huge on the road. I am confident that I am safe and I'm kind of short so I like feeling tall. Gas, I'd say is the only issue. 4WD made it possible to survive the winter here in Rexburg.

Heather said...

We have never had a van. Rich wouldn't ever consider one. I LOVE my Yukon, yes it is a gas guzzler
:( but we love it. If you ever need to tow anything BIG an SUV is best. We had the third row seat put in after we got it. Not much storage in the back, we have a pod for the top and an extender thing for the back bumper. We bought our Yukon out of TX off of ebay. When it dies I want another one!!

Leila said...

OK, so I found your blog and I love your dilemma. I too am in this same predicament. I like the minivan for the reason of it is so kid friendly. The sliding doors sliding doors, the under floor storage. It was made for moms who have little kids that have to get into their seats, without mom wanting to pull her hair out in the process. But the Suburban was made to cater to every need possible. In my opinion, its not for a family where you still have multiple kids in car seats, and you have to help the other ones in the back buckle up. But once your passed that stage I think it's the way to go. You can go camping and to the mall and to the grocery store without switching vehicles. But yes the gas is horrible. So those are my thoughts, I was also wondering if you could email me the recipes for the canned chicken

shauna said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I am in the very same boat. . .er, vehicle. We were looking at a sequoia and then gas went up and we are in denial that the old green bomb is on its last leg.

It has been fun reading all of the advice. I felt like it was all for me.

Come run with us!

Varney Family said...

So what have you guys decided? Just curious what ended up being the finaly decision :)

The Romero family said...

Maya talks about Emma all the time. We should get them together sometime. I don't have your number or anything. I tried to email you from your blog but it doesn't work unless I know your email address (maybe I'm just doing it wrong). Email me if you know how.

Claire