Sunday, September 21, 2008

An Uneventful Trip is Soon Forgotten......

Well, Justin and I decided to break old habits and attend a ward function. The Ward Camp out! Hooray! We really like our ward so we were excited to go and the kids were beyond happy. Even Victoria. :) It's so hard to meet people in our ward because it's so huge. We really like the two families that we know, so we thought this would be a good opportunity to get to know the other 700 that we don't. So we pack up Grandma's Van for another road trip. (no, haven't bought the Suburban yet) We get about half way to Payson when I notice the tire pressure light was on. Crap. We get out and notice there's two huge bolts in the tire. Double Crap. So we slowly head back to town with some sad kids in tow. We get out at Discount Tire and Grace says, "Dad, this isn't the mountains!" She's always been my observant one.

So we drop the car off at my favorite tire place and now we've got an hour to waste. We decide to bribe the kids out of moping and go to NYPD pizza.
I love their calzones and we got this buffalo chicken caesar salad
that was so yummy. I don't think it was their healthiest choice, but
I figured we would have been eating "camping food" and it's never good for you, so I was good with it.
Now you might notice something different about this picture. What? I'll give you a hint....I'm in it. I know, shocker. But the only reason Justin insisted on taking the picture is so he had proof that I wore my new favorite shirt. They were so embarrassed of me that Victoria wouldn't be less than 5 feet away from me and Justin didn't even want me going into WalMart. That's right...WalMart. Now what do you have to be wearing that wouldn't be WalMart worthy? Seriously. I've gone in my dirty sweats, no make-up, scroungy kids with no shoes and still felt totally in place there. And what's even better is that when I run into friends there, they sometimes look like that also! Now Costco is a totally different story. Always shower and make-up for Costco. I've run into J's ex-girlfriends too many times there to not look at least clean.
My new favorite shirt.
It says, "More Cowbell" with a picture of Will Ferrell on it. If you haven't seen this SNL skit, you're missing out.
So, I don't get many opportunities to wear my cowbell shirt in public. I thought wearing it to the ward camp out would get people to talk to me. Seriously, can you walk by this shirt and not go, "Huh?" I don't care if they remember me as the cowbell lady, or the lady with the ridiculous shirt on. It's a start. I've honestly introduced myself to the same woman in my ward 5 times and neither of us remember each other's name by the next Sunday. Maybe I should wear it to church. Although, they'd probably release me. Hmmmm......wait a second....
Anyways, after the car was done we went home, made some S'mores on the gas stove, pulled
out the sleeping bags and watched the Spiderwick Chronicles. And even though I'm sad we missed out on the camp out, I didn't mind sleeping in my own comfy bed, having running water, no mosquitos, and sneaking some ice cream after the kids went down. Maybe I'll wear my shirt for the next ward function. Trunk or Treat? Absolutely.

9 comments:

Wendy Hansen said...

I absolutely L-O-V-E your shirt. That is an awesome SNL skit, one of our favorites. Sometimes family vacations gone bad leave more lasting memories than the ones that go smoothly. Now I wish that I had a gas stove for roasting marshmallows, LUCKY!!!

Deana & Ryan Bitter said...

Great shirt and I DO think you should wear it to church... maybe with a trendy over-the-sweater belt and some vintage earings? That would be HOT -{people would definately remember you}!

Pam said...

I bet you had more fun on this little unvacation then you would have camping anyway. You got yummy food and a soft bed.
Loving the shirt as well and your cute braids.

Heather said...

Love the shirt and the braids too! So you decided on a burbie!? You'll have to update us when you replace the van! :) Looks like a fun outing!!

Jolene said...

I bought that shirt for my brother. That skit is a fave around here. Too bad 1/2 of your stomach wasn't sticking out a la Will Ferrel.

Elisha said...

I am so sad I (and apparently everyone else) missed the fashion show! We slept in our warm cozy beds too and weren't sad AT ALL!

Heather said...

I forgot to add, I have ran into Rich's ex-girlfriend twice at Costco. I had her help me load up a camping stove once onto my cart!

AliceK[i]ND said...

You better watch out or Jay will steal your shirt!!!! That is his FAVORITE SNL skit. Better, tell me where I can get one for him!!!

gina said...

The blazer was totally doing frightening things today, I think it is ready to join your van in retirement. Although, it just sits at the mall all day waiting for Lance, so it needs to pull it together. Sorry you missed the campout, you should have called..we were roasting s'mores in the backyard. If you don't believe me, come see our grass. Love you!