I do love the kids all dressed up that night, but I don't really enjoy trying to figure out what they're going to be. I'm almost afraid to start getting costumes together too soon because you KNOW they're going to change their mind two days before their school party. They'll want to be Hannah Montana instead of the fairy princess you worked for two weeks putting together. ( I guess you could make the dress a mini, add some hoochie mama boots and really heavy make-up and she would be fine. )
Seriously though, did our parents really put this much effort into Halloween? I had a bag-o-costumes in the attic as a kid and you had to try to find something to wear from it or make something up. Then we'd all run around with our pillowcases (that's right, no fancy cauldron. You can fit so much more in a pillowcase) and hit every house in the neighborhood totally unsupervised. Ahhh, the good 'ol days.
Well, last year I tried to be resourceful and frugal. I got an old torn up Belle costume from my mom's MASSIVE costume collection and disassembled the whole thing, bought some matching material and reassembled it. Voila! We already had Snow White, and Victoria was......honestly I have no idea what she was. She does it on her own and I think that's great. Now Cameron's costume was awesome. Ok, that probably sounds boastful. But when he said he wanted to be Jango Fett from Star Wars, I looked online for costumes and they were $40 on Ebay?! So I bought some $5 blue thermal underwear from Walmart and some silver clearance material and got to work. A little glue, an ASU football helmet, some duct tape and a lot of love and he looked perfect. (you know, perfect for a 7 year old who would run around in a Darth Vader cape and his Transformers undies if we'd let him. He's not too picky :)


We'll see how it turns out this year! And if you're getting ready to buy your candy to pass out, I hear the kids really love the full size Almond Joys. I know I'm stocking up. ;)
4 comments:
Andrew is going to be a Star Wars character for the 4th year in a row. I thought I had him talked into Batman, but alas, he eyed Darth Vader at WalMart and it won out. Oh well, we'll get a good laugh about that one for years.
I love all of the Halloween pics & I'm glad that someone else raids all of the good stuff from their kids. I totally do that, and I don't share it with them later either. I'm doing it for the children, I don't want to rot their teeth you know. And I love the monster mash too, you are so clever. But mostly I loved your comment on my blog about not cooking breakfast because they keep us up too late! AMEN!!! To look this good a girls' got to get her beauty sleep sometime! ;0)
Nice to know we all unfortunately have to go through the whole costume switcharue thing. McKenna is having the best time trying on all the costumes. I guess I should have kept them put away a little while longer they'll all be ruined by Halloween I'm sure.
Your kids look so great in their costumes. You should be proud of your homeade one that looks awesome.
I wish I could act all shocked and say, "You sneak out of my cauldron!?" but I think I've always known. I mean, even a seven year old kid would realize their king size Butterfinger is gone.
Post a Comment